Table 3. Attributes from health behavior change theories and models that predispose an individual to successful behavior change: 39,45,49
- Strongly wants and intends to change for clear, personal reasons.
- Faces a minimum of obstacles (information processing, physical, logistical, or environmental barriers) to change.
- Has the requisite skills and self-confidence to make a change.
- Feels positively about the change and believes it will result in meaningful benefit(s).
- Perceives the change as congruent with his/her self-image and social group(s) norms.
- Receives reminders, encouragement, and support to change at appropriate times and places from valued persons and community sources, and is in a largely supportive community/environment for the change.
Current as of: November 2013